Gyne-Lotrimin (Clotrimazole vaginal)
Gyne-Lotrimin is used for treating vaginal yeast infections.
How to take
- Use Gyne-Lotrimin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Gyne-Lotrimin. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Gyne-Lotrimin is for vaginal use only. Do not use it rectally or take by mouth.
- Using the applicator provided, insert 1 suppository high into the vagina at bedtime for 7 days.
- Some forms of this product come with 7 disposable applicators. If this product contains disposable applicators, throw away each applicator after use.
- Some forms of this product come with one applicator to be used for all 7 days of treatment. If this product contains only one applicator, do not throw it away after use. Separate the pieces of the applicator and wash with warm, soapy water immediately after use. Rinse thoroughly. Make sure the applicator is completely dry before the next use.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Gyne-Lotrimin.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Gyne-Lotrimin for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Gyne-Lotrimin is an antifungal agent. It works by weakening the cell membrane of the fungus, resulting in the death of the fungus.
If you miss a dose of Gyne-Lotrimin, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Store Gyne-Lotrimin vaginal at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Gyne-Lotrimin vaginal out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Do NOT use Gyne-Lotrimin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gyne-Lotrimin
- you have never had a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed by a doctor
- you have itching caused by a condition other than a yeast infection
- you have stomach, shoulder, or lower back pain; fever; chills; nausea; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; or vomiting
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Gyne-Lotrimin. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have the blood disease porphyria or a history of liver disease or diabetes, or you have been exposed to HIV
- if this is the first time you have had vaginal itching and discomfort
- if you have vaginal yeast infections often (eg, your symptoms return within 2 months) or your symptoms do not clear up with treatment
- if you are taking antibiotics
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gyne-Lotrimin. However, no specific interactions with Gyne-Lotrimin are known at this time.
Possible Side Effects
Stop using clotrimazole vaginal and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (shortness of breath; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, face, or tongue; or hives).
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. These include burning, itching, irritation of the skin, and an increased need to urinate.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
If you have any questions about Gyne-Lotrimin, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Gyne-Lotrimin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.