Dostinex is taken if you need to treat disorders associated with high prolactin levels such as lack of a menstrual period, unwanted persistent breast milk production, infertility.
Use Dostinex according to Doctor’s direction. See instructions on the medicine’s label for exact dose to be applied.
- Take Dostinex orally with or without food.
- Marking the days on a calendar when you need to take Dostinex, could be helpful.
- Contact your doctor immediately in case you have lost your Dostinex’s dose.
Dostinex is an agonist of dopamine receptor. It blocks prolactin secretion from the pituitary gland.
The missed dose of Dostinex should be taken as soon as possible unless it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. If so, skip the missed dose of Dostinex and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses of Dostinex at once.
The Storage of Dostinex at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) away from heat, moisture, and light is permitted. You may store Dostinex between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) for short. Do not store Dostinex in the bathroom. Keep Dostinex out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Dostinex Safety information
It is not advised to use Dostinex if one of the listed below applies to you:
- you have uncontrolled high blood pressure;
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dostinex or to ergot derivatives (e.g., ergotamine);
- you are treating with butyrophenone (e.g., haloperidol), metoclopramide, with phenothiazine (e.g., chlorpromazine), or with thioxanthene (e.g., thiothixene);
- Contact your doctor or nurse promptly if any of these apply to you.
It is important to know when you take Dostinex that:
You should not perform any possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to Dostinex.
If you suspect that you may be pregnant, do not take Dostinex, as well as while you breast-feed.
Do not give Dostinex to children.
Dostinex is available only by prescription. Do not share it with other people.
Dostinex Side effects
Notify your doctor immediately if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
- tiredness or weakness;
- dizziness; headache;
- indigestion; nausea;
Call emergency aid right away if you suspect severe allergic reaction to Dostinex that may be expressed in rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue.
Seek emergency medical care if you took Dostinex and felt depression or behavior changes (eg, aggression); confusion; cough; shortness of breath; chest pain; fainting; hallucinations; irregular heartbeat; mood or mental changes; swelling of hands or feet or vision disturbances. However these side effects are unlikely.