Rogaine (Minoxidil Solution)
Rogaine is used for promoting hair regrowth in patients who are experiencing gradually thinning hair or gradual hair loss on the top of the head.
How to take
Use Rogaine as directed by your doctor.
- Before use, wash your scalp with a mild shampoo. Your hair and scalp must be dry before applying Rogaine Solution. Wash your hands after applying Rogaine Solution. Wait approximately 4 hours after application before going swimming, and do not allow your scalp to get wet from the rain after applying the solution.
- Allow the solution to remain on the scalp for at least 4 hours before washing.
- Wait approximately 4 hours after application before going swimming, and do not allow your scalp to get wet from the rain after applying the solution.
- Wait until the solution is dry before using other hair care products.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Rogaine is a vasodilator that stimulates scalp hair growth. It is possible that it dilates blood vessels in the scalp, which may improve hair follicle function and stimulate scalp hair growth.
If you miss a dose of Rogaine, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Store Rogaine at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Keep Rogaine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Do not use Rogaine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Rogaine.
- Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Rogaine. Using Rogaine alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not use along with other medications or ointments on the scalp.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- Rogaine is for topical use only. Avoid getting Rogaine in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Rogaine in your eyes, wash them out with cool tap water.
- Temporary hair loss may continue for up to 2 weeks after beginning use with Rogaine. Contact your doctor if you continue to lose hair after 2 weeks.
- Several months may pass before you see improvement. If you do not see improvement after 4 months, check with your doctor.
- Do not use on scalp that is irritated or sunburned.
- Rogaine will not improve hair loss caused by grooming methods (eg, ponytails, braiding) or the use of other hair care products that cause scarring or deep burns on the scalp.
- Rogaine is not recommended for use in children; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Rogaine during pregnancy. It is unknown if Rogaine is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Rogaine.
Possible Side Effects
Check with your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
- burning or irritation of the eye; itching; redness or irritation at the treated area; unwanted hair growth elsewhere on the body.
- severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dizziness; fainting; fast heartbeat; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swollen hands or feet.
Rogaine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.