Detrol is an antimuscarinic agent. It acts by blocking a chemical that causes contractions of the bladder.
The rules of using Tolterodine (Detrol) are the following:
- Detrol is a medication for oral intake; it can be taken either with food or without it.
- Swallow this medication whole without breaking crushing or chewing it.
- Tolterodine should be taken with water or another non-alcoholic liquid.
- Taking Tolterodine at the same time each day will help you to remember to take it. It is very important not miss any doses and to take full course of this medication even if you already feel well.
If you have any questions about Tolterodine intake ask your health care provider.
In case you miss a dose of Detrol take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go on according to your usual dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses simultaneously.
Store Detrol at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Make sure it is safe from heat, moisture, and light. Avoid storing in the bathroom. Keep Tolterodine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Detrol Safety information
Tolterodine is contra-indicated for:
- Individuals, allergic to any ingredient in Detrol;
- Those who have urinary or gastric retention, or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma.
Consult your physician or health care provider immediately if you suffer any of above-mentioned disorders.
Pay attention to this:
- Detrol should be used only by prescription for children; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to Tolterodine.
- In case you think you are pregnant, contact your doctor to reveal the benefits and risks of using Tolterodine while you are pregnant. There is no information about Detrol content in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Detrol.
- Take Tolterodine only by the doctor prescription (don't give it to the other people). If you don't feel better or even become worse, consult your physician.
Detrol Side Effects
Contact your doctor if you suffer any of these most common side effects:
- blurred vision; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; flu-like symptoms; headache; indigestion; joint pain; nausea; stomach pain; upper respiratory tract infection;dry eyes; dry mouth; abnormal skin sensations; feeling of a whirling motion; vomiting.
Turn for medical attention immediately if any of these severe side effects occur:
- Heavy allergic reactions expressed in rash; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, hives; itching or in difficulty while breathing; tightness in the chest; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; pounding in the chest; swelling of the arms and legs; severe dizziness; urination problems.