Such diseases as schizophrenia or bipolar mania can be treated by using Risperdal. It may also be possible to use it in any other cases after consulting with your doctor.
While using Risperdal, follow the prescription of your doctor
- To organize yourself take Risperdal at the same time each day.
- Take Risperidone orally while having a meal or without it.
- Keep on taking Risperdal even in case you feel well. Avoid missing any doses.
If you have any questions about using Risperdal, you should address to your health care provider.
Risperdal belongs to the group of antipsychotics.
It functions by changing the balance of certain chemicals in the brain, which are in charge of ways of thinking and behavior. Risperdal is able to amend concentration and self-control even if patients are severely mentally ill (psychotic or schizophrenic).
If you forget to take a dose of Risperdal , you should take it as soon as possible. In case it coincides with the time for your next dose, do not take the missed dose and follow your planned dosing schedule. You must not take 2 doses at the same time.
You should keep Risperdal at the temperature of 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Temporary keeping at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) can be allowed. Avoid heat, moisture, and light. Never keep it in the bathroom. Risperdal must be stored out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Risperdal Safety information
Using of Risperdal is impossible if:
- You have an allergy to any component in Risperdal.
Consult with your doctor or health care provider immediately if any of the symptoms apply to you.
Remember the facts about this medication:
- Several days or weeks may pass before Risperdal starts to work. Continue taking Risperdal without addressing to your doctor.
- Driving or performing other possibly unsafe tasks is not allowed until your reaction to it is evident.
- One of the possibly fatal syndromes can be Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) that can appear while taking Risperdal. There may be such symptoms as fever; stiff muscles; confusion; abnormal thinking; fast or irregular heartbeat; and sweating. In case you notice any of these symptoms, consult immediately with your doctor.
- Taking Risperdal, you may pass Lab tests, including fasting blood sugar levels that may help to monitor your condition or reveal any side effects. Try not to skip any doctor and lab appointments.
- Try not to overheat in hot weather or while you are being active; it can cause heatstroke.
- Taking Risperdal may, in rare cases, cause the raise of your blood level of a certain hormone (prolactin). There may appear such symptoms as unusual breast milk production, missed menstrual period, or lessening sexual ability, reduced ability to the sperm production, or enlarged breasts. Consult with your doctor as soon as possible if you have any.
- Sometimes it may happen so, that patient taking Risperdal may notice muscle movements hard to control. This is more likely to be noticed with elderly patients, especially women. The possibility of this or the reason that it may appear constantly is greater while taking Risperdal in higher doses or for a long time. Short-term treatment may lead to muscle problems with taking low doses. If you find out that you have muscle problems with your arms; legs; or your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw (eg, tongue sticking out, puffing of cheeks, mouth puckering, chewing movements) while taking Risperdal, address to your doctor immediately.
- Your blood sugar may be raised while taking Risperidone. High blood sugar may lead to you feeling confused, sleepy, or thirsty. You can also feel yourself flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. Having these symptoms, address to your doctor right away.
- Do not take while pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Risperdal Side effects
If any of these most wide-spread side effects persist or become bothersome, you should discuss it with your doctor:
- constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; gas; headache; heartburn; nausea; stomach disorder; trouble sleeping.
You need medical assistance at once if any of these severe side effects of Risperdal are found out:
- severe allergic reactions expressed in hives; rash; itching; trouble breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue;
- bloody or black, tarry stools or change in the amount of urine produced, dark urine;
- mental or mood changes; chest pain; confusion; depression; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat;
- fever, chills, or persistent sore throat;
- numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness;
- red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent stomach pain or nausea.
Risperidone can be used only after being prescribed by the doctor to the definite patient. Sharing it with other people is forbidden.
If you noticed that your symptoms are not improved or become even worse, address to your doctor.