Didronel medication is effectively used to treat thinning of bone in women after menopause. There appears an increased rate of resorption (this is medical term meaning bone loss) and risk of bone fractures after menopause.
It is also helpful in the treatment of Paget’s disease of the bone. Some word about this disease. It’s reason is unknown to modern science. Paget’s disease disorders and accelerates remodeling of the bone and increase to bone weakness and pain. Didronel also is helpful for preventing an unusual condition called Heterotopic Ossification.
Didronel belongs to a class of medications which are strengthening bones. Because calcium antacids, rich foods as dairy products, vitamins with mineral supplements, the medication Didronel should be taken in an empty stomach, in 2 hours before eating or taking other medications. Certain ingredients in Didronel can iterfere with the absorption of these chemicals.
If you take 1 dose daily and you have accidentally missed a dose of this medicine, you should take the missed dose the same day, as soon as you remember. If you have forgotten to do this, just return to your regular dosing schedule and skip the missed dose. It is not recommended to take 2 doses od Didronel at once unless it is directed by your doctor.
Keep it in dry place, avoid moisture and light, store at room temperature.
Didronel Safety information
Follow these recommendations if you are treating with Etidronate:
- Before you begin treatment with any new medicine, either prescription or OTC, please consult your doctor.
- Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly (your dose may need to be decreased gradually – consult your doctor for more information);
- Do not get pregnant or breast feed during using this medication.
- Caution uses by people of the elderly age because of the possible sensitivity to Didronel.
- Before your supply runs out, obtain refills, if you are taking this medicine for an extended period of time.
- Keep away from children.
Didronel Side effects
Etidronate is usually well tolerated by most patients. It’s side effects are unlikely to appear and even in case they do, they are usually mild and in most cases do not require discontinuing Didronel intake.
Possible side effects may include:
- stomach pain or upset,
- ache of muscles,
Patients with PAGET'S disease of the bone may feel increased bone pains during treatment with Didronel.