Indocin belongs to NSAID's group. It blocks certain substances in the body that are connected to inflammation. NSAIDs treat the symptoms of pain and inflammation. The disease that causes those symptoms are not treated by these substances. Before taking Indocin you should consult your health care provider how to use it.
Use Indocin as ordered by your doctor.
- Indocin should be accepted orally with food. However this may not decrese the risk of stomach or bowel problems (like bleeding щк ulcers).If you have persistent stomach upset consult your doctor.
- Take Indocin with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
If you take regularly Indomethacin and miss a dose, try to take it as soon as possible. But in case if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. You shouldn't take 2 doses at once.
Optimum temperature for storing Indocin is between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Do not expose of heat, moisture, and light. Take Indocin in places inaccessible for children and pets.
Indocin Safety information
Indocin can't be used in the following cases:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Indocin;
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (e.g., severe rash, hives, trouble breathing, growths in the nose, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (e.g., ibuprofen, celecoxib);
- you are in the last 3 months of pregnancy;
- you are using diflunisal, another NSAID (e.g., ibuprofen), or triamterene;
You should speak to your doctor or health care provider at once if any of these apply to you.
- Indocin is an NSAID and sometimes causes dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse in case you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. If you must start another medicine, check the label to find out if it has an NSAID (e.g., ibuprofen) in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Indocin must be used with caution. Before driving or performing other possibly unsafe tasks make sure you know how you react to it.
- The prolonged use of Indocin can causes heavy stomach ulcers or bleeding. Never take it in high doses or for a long time, smoking, or drinking alcohol raises the risk of these side effects. If you take Indocin with food it will not lower the risk of these effects. Inform your doctor or emergency room right away if you feel severe stomach or back pain; black, tarry stools; vomit that seems blood or coffee grounds; or unusual weight gain or swelling.
- You should not take more than the recommended dose or use for more time than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- While you are using Indocin do not take aspirin unless your doctor tells you to.
- Some lab tests, including kidney function, complete blood cell counts, and blood pressure, may be performed while you use Indocin. Indocin sometimes interferes with certain lab tests. Your doctor and lab personnel must know that you take Indocin.These tests may be used to control your condition or check for collateral effects. Do not miss any of doctor and lab appointments.
- Indomethacin can be used with caution in the elderly; because they are more sensitive to its effects, especially stomach bleeding and kidney problems.
- Indomethacin with extreme caution in children younger than 14 years old; safe and effective action in these children have not been confirmed.
- This product causes harm to the fetus. Never use it during the last 3 months of pregnancy. Inform your doctor when you think you may be pregnant. You should consider the benefits and risks of using Indocin during your pregnancy. Indocin is found in breast milk. You must not breast-feed while taking Indocin. Indocin is to be prescribed by doctor and used only by the patient. Do not give it to other people.
If you do not feel change for the better or if your symptoms become worse, check with your doctor.
Indocin Side Effects
If any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome consult with your doctor:
- constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; gas; headache; heartburn; nausea; stomach upset.
When any of these severe side effects occur you should consult your doctor at once:
- severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; trouble breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or black, tarry stools; change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; depression; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; mental or mood changes; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent stomach pain or nausea; severe vomiting; shortness of breath; sudden or unexplained weight gain; swelling of hands, legs, or feet; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual joint or muscle pain; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision or speech changes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; yellowing of the skin or eyes.