Motilium allows food move more easily through the stomach because it reduces the work chemicals in the brain that are responsible for feeling of nausea and vomiting, as well as increasing the movement or contractions of the stomach and intestines.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Motilium.
- Take one tablet three to four times a day, best taken 15 to 30 minutes before meals or food, and if necessary at bedtime.
- Your doctor may prescribe you to take Motilium for up to 6 months.
- Sometimes you may increase the dose to two tablets three times a day after you have taken Motilium during 2 weeks.
- Do not take more than a total of eight tablets a day.
If you miss a dose of Domperidone, take it as soon as possible and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Store Motilium at room temperature, do not expose to heat, moisture, and light. Keep this medicine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Motilium Safety information
Motilium is contra-indicated if:
- you are allergic to any of the ingredients in Domperidone;
- you are taking another medicine containing the active ingredient ketoconazole, fluconazole or voriconazole which is used to treat fungal infections;
- you are taking an antibiotic containing the active ingredient erythromycin, clarithromycin or telithromycin;
- you suffer from prolactinoma;
- if you have had bleeding, a blockage or puncture in your gastrointestinal tract;
- you are taking another medicine containing the active ingredient amiodarone, which is used to treat fast heart rate.
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Domperidone is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
Motilium Side Effects
- uncontrollable movements; irregular or no menstrual period; unusual secretion of breast milk or decrease in sex drive in men or women; breast tenderness or breast enlargement in men.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
- itchy eyes and crusty eyelids with discharge; trouble sleeping, nervousness, dizziness, tiredness or irritability; dry mouth or thirst; headache, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, changes in appetite or heartburn; rash or itchy skin; mouth ulcers or cold sores.