Biaxin refers to macrolide antibiotics. It prevents growth or kills sensitive bacteria by cutting down the making of proteins important for bacteria survival.
Use Biaxin according to doctor’s prescription.
- Biaxin takes effect best if you take it every day at the same time.
- Take Biaxin by mouth during or before meal.
- Even if you don’t feel bad, continue to use Biaxin. Do not miss any doses.
If you have any questions about how to use Biaxin, consult with your health care provider.
If you didn’t take dose of Biaxin in time, use it as soon as possible. But in the case if it is a time to take a new one, instead of missed dose take your regular dosing schedule. Taking of 2 doses at once is not allowed.
Keep Biaxin at temperature of 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Keep away from heat, moisture, and light. Keeping in bathroom is not appropriate. Do not permit children or pets to reach Biaxin.
Biaxin Safety information
Clarithromycin is contra-indicated for:
- those, who are taking cisapride, cyclosporine, dofetilide, eletriptan, ergot alkaloids (e.g., ergotamine, dihydroergotamine), H1 antagonists (e.g., terfenadine, astemizole), pimozide, QT-prolonging agents (e.g., quinidine, sotalol, thioridazine), quinolones (e.g., ciprofloxacin), or sumatriptan;
- allergic individuals to any component in Biaxin or any other macrolide (e.g., erythromycin).
If any of these pertain to you, inform your doctor or health care provider.
This is very important:
- Clarithromycin (Biaxin) does not cure viral infections (e.g., the common cold), it works only against bacteria.
- Immediately talk to your doctor if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools appear. Do not begin to cure diarrhea until you consult with your doctor.
- If to use Biaxin for a long time or repeatedly, it may cause a second infection. Inform your doctor if signs of second infection appear. Probably your medicine should be changed in order to treat this.
- Use Clarithromycin for the full course of treatment. If you do not, your infection may not be cured totally by medicine. It also may cause bacteria to become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder for future treatment.
- While you take Biaxin, you may perform lab tests, including complete blood counts. These tests may be used for observing your state or checking for side effects. Be aware you follow all doctor and lab prescriptions.
- It has been proved that this medicine negatively influences on fetus. It is not recommended to take Clarithromycin during pregnancy except the case if you can not use other antibiotics. Inform your doctor if you think you are pregnant. It is necessary to define positive and negative consequences of Biaxin while you are pregnant. It is not known does breast milk contain Biaxin. Consult with your doctor if you are or will be breast-feeding while taking Clarithromycin. Define all probable risks to your baby.
Biaxin should be used only by person who has doctor’s prescription. Do not share Biaxin with other people.
Biaxin Side Effects
Inform your doctor if some of these common side effects become apperant:
- abnormal taste; diarrhea; headache; indigestion; nausea; stomach discomfort; vomiting.
Seek medical care if some of these severe side effects appear:
- such severe allergic reaction as rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; bloody stools; confusion; decreased urination; depression; emotional or mood changes; hallucinations; nightmares; severe diarrhea; severe stomach pain/cramps; trouble sleeping.