Grifulvin V (Griseofulvin)
Grifulvin V is used for treating fungal infections of the scalp, body, foot (athlete's foot), nails, thigh (jock itch), or hair follicles (barber's itch).
How to take
Use Grifulvin V as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
Take Grifulvin V by mouth with or without food.
Shake well before each use.
Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
To clear up your infection completely, use Grifulvin V for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Grifulvin V is an antifungal agent. It works by making the skin more resistant to fungal growth.
If you miss a dose of Grifulvin V, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Store at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture.
Do NOT use Grifulvin V if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Grifulvin V
- you have severe liver disease or the blood disease porphyria
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Grifulvin V. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, liver disease, lupus, or numbness of the hands or feet
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Grifulvin V. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) because they may decrease Grifulvin V's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), cyclosporine, or oral contraceptives (birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Grifulvin V
Possible Side Effects
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Diarrhea; difficulty sleeping; dizziness; fatigue; headache; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; numbness of tingling of the hands or feet; white patches in the mouth.
If you have any questions about Grifulvin V, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Nizoral is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
Ampills offers Generic Grifulvin V without prescription.