Claritin acts to block histamine, released by immune system during an allergic reaction.
For children over 6 years and adults recommended dose of Claritin is one 10 mg tablet or Loratadine, or 2 teaspoonfuls (10 mg) of syrup once a day. For children from 2 to 5 years recommended dose of Claritin Syrup is 5 mg (1 teaspoonful) once daily. If adult or a child over 6 years has liver failure or renal insufficiency (GFR < 30 mL/min), then he/she should start with the dose 10 mg (one tablet or two teaspoonfuls) every other day. If the same has a child of 2 to 5 years of age, the starting dose will equals one teaspoonful (5 mg) every other day.
If you have missed a dose of drug, you must take it immediately. If too much time passed and it’s time to take the next dose, you may skip missed dose and return to your regular schedule, but you never take 2 doses at once.
Store Claritin at room temperature. Claritin (Loratadine) requires a dry place to be kept in. Use the drugs in the course of 6 months after opening the foil pouch only. Every tablet should be taken immediately after it was extracted from the blister.
Claritin Safety information
Please do not use Claritin if:
- If you have allergic reaction to Loratadine or any other allergies.
- You have a history of severe kidney and/or liver diseases. This is not an absolute contradiction but you should tell this to your doctor.
- If you take alcohol in unlimited amounts – it can worsen side effects. (Just limit the intake of alcoholic beverages.)
Keep in mind:
- Elderly patients may be more sensitive to the effects of the drug.
- During the pregnancy Claritin should be taken only in case of need, after discussion of risks and benefits.
- Using of this drug is not recommended while breast-feeding because Claritin passes into the milk.
- Food and Drug Administration has approved Claritin to use by children over 6 years. In any case ask your pediatrician or healthcare professional for any information on appropriate child treatment and dosage.
Claritin Side effects
Side effects like headache, drowsiness, fatigue, and dry mouth are the most common. Other side effects also may occur but it is very unlikely.