Benemid is used with antibiotics for more effective treatment of infections and for treatment of arthritis. Benemid also prevents other medical problems that occur from much uric acid in the body.
Don't hesitate to ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Probenecid.
Take Benemid orally with a glass of water, so not crush the tablets. Take prescribed doses at regular intervals.
Keep your regular dosing schedule and don’t take 2 doses at once. If you miss a dose of Benemid, take it as soon as possible. Store at room temperature. Do not expose Benemid to heat, moisture, and light. Keep Probenecid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Benemid Safety Information
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Probenecid;
- you are taking salicylates (e.g., aspirin).
- you have blood problems or kidney stones caused by uric acid;
Tell your doctor immediately if any of these may be applied to you.
Please read this important information carefully:
- Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous before you know how you react to Benemid because it may cause diziness;
- Inform your doctor or dentist about using Benemid, before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, surgery or you have to pass lab tests; It may interfere with blood or hemoglobin urine tests, theophylline levels.
- If you are diabetes patient - check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including tests for sugar in the urine, may be required to monitor your progress. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Benemid should be used in children younger than 2 years of age only if clearly needed, because safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- Benemid is excreted in breast milk. Discuss with your doctor the risks to your baby and do not use during pregnancy.
- Benemid shold be used only with prescribtion. Do not share it with other people.
If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
Benemid Side Effects
During treatment with Probenecid you may experience such side effects as:
- dizziness; flushing; hair loss; headache;; nausea; sore gums; loss of appetite and vomiting.
Side effects listed above are the most common.
In case of harsh allergic reactions (rash; difficulty breathing; hives; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue) or bloody dark urine seek emergency care.
If you faced these severe side effects: chills; decreased or increased urination; fever; lower back, lower stomach, genital, or inner thigh pain; persistent sore throat; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual tiredness or weakness; worsening gout; yellowing of the eyes or skin, please consult your healthcare provider instantly or call emergency.