Toprol XL is a beta-adrenergic blocking agent. It works in two ways: lessens heart’s workload, that reduces chest pain, and lowers high blood pressure by lessening the amount of blood the heart pumps out. It is also taken in abnormal conditions, when the heart is beating too fast or at an irregular rhythm. In this case Toprol XL stabilizes the heart rhythm.
Metoprolol is used in the following cases:
- for treating high blood pressure, alone or with other medicines;
- long-term treatment of chest pain;
- if patients have had a heart attack, it prevents possible death because of remaining heart problems.
Sometimes it may be taken for other purposes, but only with your doctor prescriptions.
When using Toprol XL follow your doctor directions.
- Toprol XL dosage should correspond with your doctor’s instructions. Make sure that you don’t take the medication in larger amounts or for longer than it’s prescribed by your doctor.
- Toprol XL is taken with a full glass of water.
- You should check your blood pressure on a regular basis to see, how this medication works and wether improves your condition. Make sure that you visit your doctor according to schedule.
If you have any questions about Toprol XL usage, ask for more information your health care provider.
Try not to miss a dose of Metoprolol. If it happens, take it as you are able to. If too much time has passed and you need to take the next dose, take it, skipping the previous one. Follow your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Store Toprol XL at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). It is permitted to store it for a short time at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture and light; keep out of the reach of children and pets; don’t keep Toprol XL in bathroom.
Toprol XL Safety information
You are not recommended to use Toprol XL in the following cases:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Toprol XL;
- you have a very slow heart rate condition (eg, bradycardia, AV block);
- you have heart failure controlled by diuretics (eg, furosemide) and digoxin;
- you have very low systolic blood pressure (less than 100 mm Hg);
- you are taking Mibefradil.
If any of these relates to you, please, consult your doctor or health care provider immediately.
Please read carefully:
- Be attentive while driving or performing other possibly unsafe tasks. Make sure you know how you react to Toprol XL.
- It is not safe to cease suddenly to take Toprol XL, even if you have angina (chest pain) or have had other heart problems. Consult your doctor before ceasing and if he agrees that you need to stop taking Toprol XL, follow your doctor’s instructions, how to do it gradually and safety.
- If you take medicine for high blood pressure, you may have side effects in few weeks after starting to take Toprol XL, e.g. tiredness or running down. Continue to take your medicine even if you have side effects. Discuss with your doctor any new symptoms, that you are experiencing.
- Meet your doctor, if you become pregnant. Ask about positive and negative effects of taking Toprol XL during pregnancy. Toprol XL will get into breast milk. Consult your doctor, if you are taking Toprol XL and want to breast-feed or you are breast-feeding. Ask your doctor about possible risk to your baby.
- For Patients with Diabetes: Your blood sugar may be effected by Metoprolol. You should check your blood levels more thoroughly. If you want to change the dose of your diabetes medicine, consult your doctor.
- Make sure you are following all your doctor’s instructions. He may ask you to check your blood pressure and heart rate regularly, than you should do it.
- If you have colds or congestion, do not take any medicines without first asking your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you visit a dentist or you need any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery, warn, that you are taking Toprol XL.
- To monitor your condition and check side effects, lab tests (liver and kidney function, blood pressure, and complete blood cell counts incl.) may be performed. Discuss with your doctor test results and follow all doctor’s and lab directions carefully.
- Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed on children. Be extremely cautious giving Toprol XL to them.
Toprol XL Side effects
Consult your doctor, if you have any of the following most common side effects:
- blurred vision; cold hands and feet; confusion; constipation; depression; diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth/eyes; gas; hair loss; headache; heartburn; itching; lightheadedness; mild drowsiness; muscle aches; nausea; nightmares; ringing in the ears; short-term memory loss; sleeplessness; stomach pain; unusual tiredness or weakness.
Be attentive, if some of the following severe side effects come about. You should seek medical attention as soon as you find it out:
- severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; pounding in the chest; swelling of the arms, hands, and feet; wheezing; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
If your symptoms do not improve, address your doctor as soon as you can.