Combination of angiotensin II receptor blocker and diuretic makes Hyzaar. The angiotensin II receptor blocker is a relaxant of blood vessels. How the diuretic decreases blood pressure is not exactly defined, but it is proven to help the kidneys to eliminate fluid and sodium form the body.
Use Hyzaar by your doctor’s advice.
- Losartan may cause more often urination and/or increase the amount of the urine in the beginning of the treatment. To avoid disturbance of your sleep, it is advised to take your dose before 6pm.
- No doses should be missed even if you start feeling well.
- Take Hyzaar orally with or without food.
- Extra fluids consumption while taking Hyzaar is recommended. Advice with your doctor for details.
- If you take cholestyramine or colestipol, you need to ask your attending physician how is it compatible with Hyzaar.
Contact your health care provider if any questions regarding how to use Hyzaar.
In case of missed dose, take Hyzaar as soon as possible. If you discover that you forgot your dose and it is time for next one, skip it and get back to regular schedule. Don’t take 2 doses at a time.
Store Hyzaar at temperature 77ºF (25ºC). It is acceptable to shortly store at temperatures 59-86ºF (15-30ºC). Keep away from contact with heat moisture, and light. Do not store Hyzaar in the bathroom. Keep away from reach of children and/or pets.
Hyzaar Safety information
Do not use Hyzaar in case of:
- allergic reaction to any of Hyzaar ingredients or to other sulphonamide medicine (e.g. sulfamethoxazole);
- inability to urinate or severe liver or kidney problems;
- taking dofetilide or ketanserin.
Please read this important information carefully:
- Immediately report to your doctor in case of any light-headedness or fainting. The risk of having fainting or light-headedness can increase if you experience diarrhoea, vomiting, excessive sweating, lack of fluids, or if you are on low-salt diet.
- Make sure you know your reaction to the medicine before driving or performing other possibly unsafe tasks.
- First few weeks taking drugs for high blood pressure can cause tiredness or weakness. Continue taking medicine even if you don’t feel well. Contact to your doctor if new symptoms appear.
- Having high blood pressure, restrain from using not prescribed drugs containing stimulants. Such medicines can contain diet pills or cold medicines. Always advice with your doctor for any questions and concerns.
- Using Hyzaar can make you more sensitive to sun-light and as a result get sunburned easily. Before you find out your reaction to Hyzaar, avoid direct effect of sun, sunlamps or solarium. If it is unavoidable to stay away of sun, use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing.
- Before starting medical, dental care or surgery tell your doctor or dentist that you take Hyzaar.
- Your doctor may decide to prescribe potassium supplement. If so, dosage should be observed strictly. Do not change diet without checking with your doctor and do not take additional potassium ingredients.
- Hyzaar may affect blood sugar of diabetes patients. Attentively check blood sugar level. Before changing dosage of diabetes medicines contact to your doctor.
- Hyzaar may increase your blood sugar, which can make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also cause flush, fast breathe, or fruit-like breath odor. If you experience mentioned symptoms, tell your doctor right away.
- Certain lab tests, i.e. parathyroid function tests may interfere with Hyzaar. Your doctor or lab personnel need to be informed that you are taking Hyzaar.
- Birth defects or fetal death can occur while taking Losartan during pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor immediately. Hyzaar is found in breast milk, restrain from breast-feeding while taking Hyzaar.
- Such lab test as kidney function, blood pressure, and blood electrolytes can be performed while using Hyzaar. These tests can help monitoring your condition and/or checking for side effects. Do not miss doctor and lab appointments.
- Safety and effectiveness of Hyzaar was not confirmed on children, you should be extremely careful while treating children with Hydrochlorothiazide.
- Hyzaar should be used only if prescribed. Never share this medicine with other people. Contact with your doctor if symptoms are not improving or becoming worse.
Hyzaar Side Effects
Notify your doctor if you discover any of these most common side effects:
- Diarrhoea; dizziness or light-headedness, especially when sitting up or standing; nausea; back pain or unusual tiredness; numbness or tingling of the skin.
Immediate medical attention is a must if any of these severe side effects occur:
- harsh allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; breathing problems; chest tightness; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue);
- chest pain and fast or irregular heartbeat;
- confusion or depression;
- decreased urination;
- fever, chills, or persistent sore throat;
- muscle pain, tenderness, or cramps;
- red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin.
Other effects than listed in this guide also may happen. Please check with your doctor if any.