Bactroban is used for treating skin infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
How to take
Use Bactroban as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
Wash and completely dry the affected area. Apply a small amount of medicine to the area to be treated. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
The affected area may be covered with gauze or a bandage.
To clear up your infection completely, use Bactroban for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
Wash your hands immediately after using Bactroban.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Bactroban is an antibacterial. It works by stopping the production of essential proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
If you miss a dose of this medicine, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Bactroban should be kept at room temperature, 15-30C (59-86F)
Do NOT use Bactroban if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bactroban
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Bactroban. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are treating a burn or open wound
- if you have kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bactroban. However, no specific interactions with Bactroban are known at this time.
Possible Side Effects
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Burning; headache; nausea; stinging.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation; severe itching.
If you have any questions about Bactroban, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Bactroban is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.