Frequently Decadron is used to treat certain conditions associated with decreased adrenal gland function and severe inflammation: severe asthma, severe allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, certain blood disorders, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and certain eye and skin conditions it is also used. By doctor’s instruction it can be used for other conditions.
Decadron is a corticosteroid. This means that it acts by helping to decrease or prevent tissues from responding to inflammation. The body's response to certain immune stimulation is modified by Decadron.
You should take Decadron on prescription.
Decadron is taken orally with food.
To receive more information about usage of Decadron, contact your doctor.
In case of missing a dose of Decadron it should be used as soon as possible. You shouldn’t take two doses together even if dose is missed. Follow your regular dosing instructions.
Decadron is stored at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) and out of the reach of children, away from pets. Decadron isn’t stored in the bathroom, and it should be away from heat, moisture, and light.
Decadron Safety information
Attention! Dexamethasone shouldn’t be used if:
- you have a systemic fungal infection;
- you have ever had allergic reaction to any ingredient in Decadron;
- you are taking mifepristone.
Your doctor or health care provider should be informed if any of these apply to you.
Do not forget this:
- Your doctor or dentist should be informed that you use Decadron before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If you are Diabetes patients, Decadron may affect your blood sugar. The blood sugar levels should be checked more thoroughly. If you want to change the dose of your diabetes medicine, see your doctor.
- An elevation in blood pressure, salt and water retention, and increased potassium loss may be caused by Decadron. If thus has happened you should restrict the use of salt and take a calcium supplement.
- The ability of your body to fight infection may be lowered by Decadron. Don’t communicate with people who have colds or infections. If you experience signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills, contacts your doctor.
- Calcium loss and promote the development of osteoporosis may be caused by Decadron. For precaution of this effects use adequate calcium and vitamin D supplements.
- The Decadron’s effect on pregnancy and breast-feeding isn’t found. See you doctor in case of pregnancy. The benefits and risks of using Decadron while you are pregnant should be discussed. Decadron is found in breast milk. If you use Decadron, you mustn’t breast-feed.
- Children are more sensitive to the effects of Decadron.
- When Decadron is being used regular growth checks should be taken if you are a child or teenager because corticosteroids may affect growth rate.
Decadron Side effects
Contact your doctor if mild nausea or vomiting occurs – these are themost wide-spread side effects.
If such side effects as severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); appetite loss; black, tarry stools; changes in menstrual periods; convulsions; depression; diarrhea; dizziness; exaggerated sense of well-being; fever; general body discomfort; headache; increased pressure in the eye; joint or muscle pain; mood swings; muscle weakness; personality changes; prolonged sore throat, cold, or fever; puffing of the face; severe nausea or vomiting; swelling of feet or legs; unusual weight gain; vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds; weakness; weight loss you should see your doctor.
Dexamethasone should be used only on prescription. It shouldn’t be shared with other people.
You should see a doctor if you don’t feel better or become worse.